About Me

My photo
This is my blog for documenting and writing about my month-long experience of studying abroad in the United Kingdom!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Greetings from London!

I made it through the traveling....*whew* Now that I'm here I feel much MUCH better. The plane anxiety hit me pretty hard, so I'm glad that day is over with. The first plane was pretty fast. It was a really small plane and I sat in a row by myself :( The whole group seemed to be scattered all over the plane..similar to the Disneyworld Roseanne episode :P The next plane was about 7 hours long and I probably slept for at least 5 of them. They served us twice on the plane, which was very nice. Again everyone was scattered all over the plane, so nobody really got to sit by each other and chat. There were also cool touch screen tv screens that you could watch movies, tv shows, and play games on :D
So after we landed and went through all that stuff and got on our bus to Greenwich and had a very nice driver named Ricky. The ride was about an hour long, but it was a sweet bus. The chairs were in groups of 4 and two of them were going backwards. We got to the hostel and got a bite to eat at the pub that's attached to it. After we checked in and dragged our luggage up the 3 flights of stairs...ugh...then Katia and I decided to go see some sights since we had the whole afternoon and evening. We took a metro thing to the Tower of London and toured around there a bit. We were able to see the Crown Jewels, which were very sparkly and huge :) They closed at 5 so we walked around for a while after that. We really didn't know our way around so we ended up getting a train back to Greenwich. After we got back to the hostel, a group of us went searching for a restaurant near the hostel. After some interesting experiences (crutch guy) we found a yummy pizza place. The poor waitress had to deal with our inability to understand British money. Don't worry, she got a generous tip. We came back to the hostel and just hung out the rest of the night. I was exhausted and went to bed around 11:30. I woke up at 3AM wide awake and got in touch with my mom since my texts were failing. I finally got back to sleep, who knows when and then I woke back up about 9AM. They had a free breakfast downstairs at the pub so we all helped ourselves to that. Then Katia and I went walking around the town and found the post office so I could finally change my money. Now we're in the pub, yet again, eating lunch and waiting to go on our tour of Darwin's house. I'll post a few pictures now, but there are certainly more to come. That's all for now!
~Kimberlyn




1 comment:

  1. Glad you survived the flights. Aren't the TV things neat?? I hope your group wasn't as obnoxious as Roseanne's group on the plane. That's neat you got to see the Crown Jewels already. I can't wait to go back someday and see those sights again. Thanks for the update, and keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete